Sunday, July 3, 2011

In His Word Sunday- contentment

Contentment...

contentment: (noun) the state of being contented;  satisfaction; ease of mind. (dictionary.com)

From Our Daily Bread Devotional,

"A poet once wrote: “As a rule, man’s a fool. When it’s hot, he wants it cool. And when it’s cool, he wants it hot. Always wanting what is not.”
What an insightful observation on human nature! So when we read in Philippians 4:11, “I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content” we wonder, Can this be possible?
For Paul it was. Philippians 4:12-13 describes Paul’s response to life: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength” (NIV). Paul’s relationship with God superseded whatever he did or did not have. His contentment was not based on his circumstances, but on his relationship with Christ."

If there is something I struggle with greatly, it is this.  The Lord has done a mighty work in my heart and continues to as He gently shows me my heart attitude, convicts my thoughts and my words and shows me the mirror through my little ones.  Growth happens when, at least speaking for myself, when we are able to humble our selves and listen to the words being spoken by a loved one (in love); to take these words and learn and not harden our hearts is through the strength and wisdom of God and the laying down of our sinful selves.  Peace is found in Him, contentment is peace found in our precious Jesus with the renewing of our minds in and by Him.

I recently read a blog post by a homeschooling mama (not sure where now!) and she wrote about falling into the trap of comparing herself to other homeschoolers.  In her journey of hearing the Lord in her home and schooling, she said she had to put the blinders on, as a horse would have, that she wouldn't be distracted by everything else, even the good.  She had to find what the Lord was calling HER to do and not everyone else.

I think of this often, not just in homeschooling but in the other areas-put the blinders on- His yoke upon me, His will and not mine, be content in all things...and a huge amen- His love endures forever :)  The many times I stumble and regress, He is there, to gently lead me back, to forgive, to love, to extend grace and mercy when not deserved.  He is our loving Creator.

Finding peace in being content with where we are at, for His plans are so much greater than mine could ever be and I have to trust that.  Let go and let God :)

12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:12-13



He strengthens me...




1 comment:

Ruth (the blogger) said...

Lovely post, dear. God is good! Praise the Lord!

2021 today...

And here we are two years later. We had a vile presidential election in 2020, are still having a worldwide pandemic (Covid-19), and the voic...

Popular Posts