Friday, January 2, 2009

the sheep...

Excerpt from Why I am a Christian by John Stott:

"The Hound of Heaven"
(excerpt from)
I fled Him, down the nights and down the days;
I fled Him, down the arches of the years;
I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways
Of my own mind; and in the midst of tears
I hid from Him, and under running laughter.
Up vistaed hopes I sped;
And shot, precipitated,
Adown Titanic glooms of chasmed fears,
From those strong Feet that followed, followed after.
But with unhurrying chase,
And unpreturbed pace,
Deliberate speed, majestic instancy,
They beat-and a Voice beat
More instant than the Feet-
"All things betray thee, who betrayest Me."
--Francis Thompson
"Francis Thompson spent a lonely and loveless childhood, and failed successively in his attempts to become a Roman Catholic priest, a doctor (like his father) and a soldier. He ended up lost in London until a Christian couple recognized his poetic genius and rescued him. Throughout these years he was conscious of both pursuing and being pursued, and he expressed it most eloquently in his poem "The Hound of Heaven."
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
...Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
-Psalm 23:4,6
'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.'
I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing
in heaven over one sinner who repents
than over ninety-nine righteous persons
who do not repent.
-Luke 15:6-7
He never stops pursuing us. We are His sheep, the Lord our shepard. How precious to know we are His...and those we love who have wandered off, He loves so much more and He is pursuing, and will never stop until they come home...our Great and Mighty God, the Creator...wow.
Have a blessed day, for He is with you...in Jesus most precious name...

No comments:

2021 today...

And here we are two years later. We had a vile presidential election in 2020, are still having a worldwide pandemic (Covid-19), and the voic...

Popular Posts